As the summer heat rises and temperatures peak at uncomfortable levels, it becomes quite easy to be temperamental, especially when you are outside facing the sunlight directly and can’t have the comfort of air conditioning. Any form of physical activity or exercise above the previously mentioned temperature can be excruciating. There are a couple of options out there, though, and one of the options brings us to Cooling Towels (Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad), which act as a life hack for people who like to be athletic in the summer.
Whether you are working out in the gym or working out outside, you can use a cooling towel like the ones from Frogg Toggs, as their products hold a solid review from most of their buyers.
The best cooling towel, as the name indicates, stays passively cool throughout its usage. Conceptually, It works pretty simply. First, you need to soak the towel in water (preferably cold water). Once it’s soaked, it won’t feel as wet just after a couple of minutes, unlike traditional fiber towels. It can hold quite an amount of water despite its weight and size. When it comes in contact with air and sunlight, the absorbed water instantaneously starts to evaporate, emitting a cool and chill feeling without being wet. A word on that matter, however, is that it doesn’t feel wet but it’s not completely dry either. It will still feel somewhat wet but it’s very manageable. It is said to be able to be around 30 degrees cooler than the environmental temperature. After some time, when the cooling effect wears off, you will need to soak the towel again for it to be as effective as advertised.
Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Reviews
Now to rate the Chilly Cooling towel from Frogg Toggs based on various aspects:
Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad is made using a hyper-evaporative material which will retain water while keeping the user cool. The texture of the material is pretty awkward and rubbery and is not one of the best by any margin. Considering the price, however, it’s still great. The rubbery feeling did not cause any discomfort on my part, just felt a little awkward at first, but you’ll get used to it pretty fast.
Good durability for long term usage. Cutting or ripping the towel doesn’t take away any of the positives and should still last for a long while.
The dimensions of the towel are 34 x 13 inches. Not many options with the size here, but you can modify the size to your liking by cutting it without losing any advantages of the cooling towel. The chilly pad mini is a viable option for a smaller towel. It’s not bad but not that great either.
There are lots of color options unlike the sizes of the cooling towel from Frogg Toggs. The colors are vibrant and flashy, and they remain the same even after long term usage. That is, however, excluding the fact that the color, of course, gets darker when it’s wet which is just physics at play and is not permanent.
Frogg Toggs Cooling towel excels in this area, especially because it’s bulkier and heavier and manages to hold much more water and absorb it well, lasting for longer hours than other cooling towels. However, the bulky nature might pose as a negative aspect of this cooling towel, which we will discuss later.
Frogg Toggs Cooling Towel – User Experience Review
- The Towel is water-proof. Thus, it doesn’t feel as wet as a traditional towel
- It is modifiable and can be cut into different pieces without any drawbacks
- Stays cool twice as long as a traditional towel
- Uses the sunlight and air to evaporate water and give off a cooling effect
- Made out of hyper-evaporative material which retains water and stays dry
- Can be washed using a washing machine
- Can be modified in size and cutting the cooling towel doesn’t come with any drawbacks whatsoever
- Comes at a good and reasonable price
- Can be used to cool different parts of the body
- Very portable and easy to carry
- Usually works for 2 hours at most, which is not as advertised, although that could just be the climate and rewetting the towel is easy
- Needs water to work
- Feels rubbery and requires skin contact to work, so you need to get used to the texture
- The cooling towel is exclusively for keeping you cool and serves no other purpose
- Once the water is completely evaporated the cooling towel stops working and loses its cooling effect. You’ll need to rewet it
- Has the possibility of chemical exposure, however low the chances are
- It’s bulky, heavy and may cause discomfort
Expert Words About Frogg Toggs Cooling Towel
Frogg Toggs is not a bad cooling towel but there are certainly better choices out there. MISSION Original Cooling Towel is one of the better options considering the price point. It has a better texture and is much more comfortable. It feels light with a premium feel to it, and it’s stylish. It does hold less water as a consequence but having a water bottle nearby diminishes any drawbacks.
How To Use Frogg Toggs Cooling Towel?
At first, you need to wet the towel thoroughly. The water can be any temperature, although warm and cold water works best. Next, you have to wring the towel out and lay it over your body. The cooling effect will start momentarily.
How To Store Frogg Toggs Cooling Towel?
After use, look for signs of dirt and wash the cooling towel. Wring the towel out, fold it, then roll. Put the towel in the cover tube it comes with. Store it in a cool place where it won’t be affected by high temperatures.
How To Wash Frogg Toggs Cooling Towel?
Use mild hot water and a very little detergent to wash the Frogg Toggs cooling towel. You can use your hands or the washing machine for that job. Once washed and wrung out, follow the storing method mentioned above.